Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Up, up and away

First fright of the day I did my own looking at my sources to see what the latest weather offering was to be. Holly Leo-G-Horse-E-Fat, I figured I had about five/six hours to bale the airport hay. My memory a little short remembering what went on between a late 9:00 AM’s start and 11:00 AM early luncheon before taking off for the airport. Tractor fueled along the way once baling hay I kept my head low avoiding coming and airport traffic: a Ford Tri-Motor, DC3, an old Jenny, a couple Jumbo‘s and three low winging Purple Martins darting and diving absorbing a many an insect. Why, I even managed to take a few more the following pictures:
An advanced observation security station.
Photobucket
Looking north from the main airport’s busy area complex may be seen an air strip (runway) about a hundred yards short a half mile. Out of the way of takeoffs and landings may be seen some of the cut and baled grasses removed from the primary air strip’s sides.
Photobucket
This snap shot’s looking south a modernized barn presently used for an ultra-light aircraft hanger. This 21st edifice is standing in the 100 yards’ short end the runway.
Photobucket
And lastly but not overlooked, the control tower. Notice its shaded well out of the way location.
Photobucket
This grass hay harvest came to over two dozen 5’x5’ bales, or a months feed for one of the lots. Oh, one more thing the control tower hadn’t needed air traffic controllers today any of the legitimate aircraft that hadn’t even landed let alone flew me over today. Well, the Purple Martins were real enough though. Wow, can they move liken miniature F16’s and get their prey with remarkable accuracy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was back into my immediate neighborhood shortly after 4:00PM. I traded off the Tall Ollie and 554 baler for the Shultz Ollie and the Hesston 1345 Rotary-mower with 5:00 PM coming on fast. I packed my bottled pills in my pocket, filled two bottles with water and headed out back. My goal was to clip another nice sized grassy area for more hay making. I do-ed it alright including breaking the bottoms in for haying. That area will have to wait until I’ve absorbed the proper amount of courage.
It has been a few days since I had gotten a tractor and mower buried in a field off Dodge road. Could be time I take an exploratory walk checking that field’s water level or even water content once more.
This afternoon’s hay cut for drying the next critical investment in my time’s use, I must re-fence the two complexly hayed pastures. The ladies are about to start bad mouthing me, my having given them another green haylage bale. My day finished as far as I’m concerned I made it in somewhere beteen 7:30 and 8:00PM. One more last thing I did was fold the spring toothed drag’s wings up. The disc and drag are ready to work up another field. I don’t even want to think about it, a if I haven’t enough to do.
“Rainbows.”
Fernan

No comments: