Saturday, April 18, 2009

decisions, decisions, decisions

Spring time on the farm. I have got so many ways to go, today.
(1)Have got that 4020 JD to get to when the distributor rotor comes in; meantime, need fertilizing field unfinished yesterday afternoon. What must be done here the second part following the first part.
(2)Have got so many trees to cut up and move out of/off haying ways. This before the alfalfa gets to vigorous a growth start.
(3)Got that forage box removal project to knock off for the needed running gear to go under a new hay wagon deck. The final resting place for that box is just beyond some soon worked up ground for a hay planting. There's one drawback rushing this project's final outcome is the need for two 5"x10"x22' plus white oak main beams. Ash deck planks already in stock.
(4,5,6) Utilization of volunteers help. Have Chips (Farm’s volunteer forester) assistance on weekends only and her cuts valuable firewood on shares what heats three homes. Tom’s a volunteer who should also get something for his contributions. I had thought some wind fallen fire wood a good way to go, only I’ve got to avoid bending Chip’s nose out of joint??? Tom’s time is a mite easier free
Okay, lets see if all this may be tidied up a bit. Bro’ goes for distributor rotor and Tom helps Bro ‘ start and tune JD. I get out at daylight, check ladies activities, head for elevator and the last fertilizer I need. Then head start wood cutting windfalls till Chip shows. This’ll take care of today. Tomorrow Tom and I may finish tearing forage wagon apart, for dumping box part off Monday or Tuesday. There! Now all that’s figured out. That wasn’t all that difficult was it.
Thanks for the help….
~~~~~~~~~~~
Michigan farm country deer hunting.
I wouldn't be talking about deer hunting this time of year. :lol: Somebody may get the wrong idea.
I live and hunt in farm country. Deer here are used to the sights, sounds and smells of tractors and implements around here. So much so those years I had to green chop later than usual into Fall or picking corn, the kids wanted my call so they'd be on stand before I started. Invaritably the deer came out to see what was going on out of curiosity getting the better of them. I've worked the fields with deer watching me making my crop corn and hay harvesting rounds. It's also reasonably for me to accept the deer knowing my Cushman. So much so, after I had climbed my stand's 24' height the odd ball varmints had come out to checkout the Cushman carefully looking it over getting some good nose's full. Arrggghhhh! The Cushman's painted in an educating bright school bus yellow. Add to that the cargo box had been winter sealed with used diesel engine crankcase oil. And then there's the smelly portable boat gasoline tank strapped down on a frame shelf one side. I sat up there in that tree stand unable to either get a clear shot past the trees what had just happened to be between me and my stinking yellow ride nor was I willing to take a miscued shot for fear of killing my Cushman by mistake.
I suggest you know your deer hunting environment. If you need the use of your ride for heart related handicapped use law check with your local conservation officer. RV Permits are often issued for handicapped individuals in Michigan.
Now then years ago when hunting State or Federal lands I wore clean clothing and had given up smoking for those seasons. No smoking near drove me nuts but I found it critical cutting it out so those deer headed my way came in rather than veering off.
While this is be my hunting style, it may only work for me?
Good hunting.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Day’s changes, I still completed my work list.
Out extra early because I was not sure everybody else’s plans. Getting with my program, I was off and running the roads to finish fertilizing the alfalfa hay fields. Getting back the ladies were in need refreshed vittles. My evening chores have been done before noon. (hehe) With Tom’s arrival and help we cut up/cut on a number of trees. We cut up two already down and brought down another. Rather than bringing down two more trees to limb those branches we could not reach Tom had volunteered to ride the back-hoe’s loader bucket to its top most. The tractor lined up for sawyers lift, as Tom started to step into the loader bucket He (cluck-cluck) chickened out. I knew in an instant he had a fear big time as his face whitened like grandma’s boiled sheets lung on a line to dry. So, it were alright, we traded places he at the tractor’s wheel and hydraulic levers. Slowly he lifted me toward the heavens. Finally high enough standing in that loader bucket without handrails, I didn’t want to fink about it. I just wanted to get that limb cut before I flew away. Got to tell it like it was. A-feared taking that limb down all in one peace kin-a had me worried it could go all that way down there taking me along for company, so I smartly cut a bit of the end off. The next lift I lopped off that limb in wood stove sized chunks. Five more repositioning that tractor lifting me too as many adventures I was ever so happy to see color coming back into Tom’s face. Wood and chain saw loaded, the tractor and I pushed a couple smaller windfalls off the hay field. Lastly, I took some three to four inched skimming’s under some wild bushes to clear a source of more useful grass hay. We were done that field and took it all home. A couple more saw cuts at home, we transferred the firewood from wood hauler into Tom’s pickup truck. The best of the day’s adventures were over. Shop time, even without me was a total disappointment. That rotor still hadn’t come in. Might be Delco-Remy has to make us one?
A beautiful sunny day, I enjoyed every moment of it. So did Frieda, Missing finding her home a couple times she’d said she was going walking. I considered that a wonderful enterprising idea. Thinking gone so long it started to worry me along about mid afternoon. She’d been gone walking so long I had no I-dear where she had gotten to. BKGKC.
Fernan

1 comment:

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Sounds like the old man is sure busy this time of year! I am embarrased by the amount of work I do compared to you!