Sunday, August 8, 2010

A quiet Sunday morning

So darned busy yesterday had it been another warm summer day like we’d had last week I could have said I just returned from Hell after feeding the furnaces. Oh boy! What’ll I do with myself in the mean time? I’m sure destiny will provide me something to do. Ah yes. I could work some grease under my finger nails changing Ugly’s fuel pump and tightening up Ugly’s exhaust system. And would I lie? Of course not the a-who’s waited until I had let Ugly cool off for my working on it before telling me “I” need to grind. Anyway, those fixes done as best I could I remembered what day it was. Just ducky, being Sunday the elevator’s closed for supplements. That’ll mean dragging emergency supplements out of some barrels.
When I was near ready to do it, I called Keith to help. For coming along right away I opened the barn, got the Cushman out, opened up some more the barn to get at the barreled supplements and grinding machinery, I managed to move two wagons, go out check fences a half mile all the way to the back-back to front, I righted three insulators, re-looped the hot wires, then let the ladies out into that area, and their thinking they smarter than me they commenced to complain, and I drove away to let them figure it out. When Keith showed after all I done waiting for him I let him fuel the Leland, pull the supplements out of the barrels for him to put on the Cushman, then let him handle the grinder’s elevators and feed the supplements to the grinder. My supervision can be a heavy responsibility.
The gain ground and delivered I commenced to rake some hay today for baling tomorrow. As I was into making my second round, Murphy’s law intervened, something had gone wrong with my favorite AC hat-rake. It had either slipped a key, lost a dowel pin, break a shaft, or worse. It were time to park it. Not happy with either the Case-4-bar or the IH-5-bar both hard on alfalfa leaves I decided it was time to give the old New Holland inverter a crack at the alfalfa this afternoon. While it weren’t parked in a fence line I still had to hack and whack my way through weeds, trees, and grape vines having been busy using the machine for an arbor. Pulling it out into daylight and sunshine it looked just as good as the day I had parked where it was. I greased the zerks, oiled the chains, greased the spur gears, and found the machine’s own custom wrench and a junk screwdriver, and it and I was about away I go right after a gassed the WD45. All this sure did blow three hours of my day. By the time I had finished turning that hay over I was in no mood to hurry into some more cutting hay. It was just minutes after 8:00 PM and that was late enough, for I had laundry needing attention plus doing my cooking to handle if I were to eat after I got home.
So, it were another fun filled busy day rat here in my corner of Shorthorn country.
Now I’m desperately a needing a shop manual and parts pictures and lists for what I think might be a Model #7 PTO driven Allis Chalmers hay-rake. Likely manufacture late forty’s into the mid fifty’s.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Hope you find the shop manual you need.