Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunny Sunday

No new calves. The ladies, I may only assume are holding out on me. I’m anxiously wanting to see these bright eyed little critters brightly colored fur cover bodies. I’ve so enjoyed watching their celebrations of life hightailing in circles with their mates making lasting bubby buddy lifetime associations.
Down the road I stopped by R.D.’s place getting his son’s permission to use his gravity box for a shelled corn storage facility over the next three months. That’s some relief on my mind. This is my second needed wagon. We’ve one more gravity box seriously needing the chute rebuilt. Bro’s feeling ambitious and that can foul things up around here quicker than anything. Should he experience phantom pains or broken skin he may be laif up for days. This worries me, his getting into something unable to finish it in a timely manor, especially when needed storage is so closely needed at this time. I’d still like to have one more gravity box just to be on the extra sure enough safe side. This wagon cover our second day’s project I believe worked out fair enough for temporary shelled corn protection.
While the wagon cover was our second project the first project of the day was taking the damaged pieces in the manure spreader apart. A coupler we knew nothing about requiring greasing from time to time was seriously buried from any operators eyes for years ever since the machine had rolled out of the factory. It seems through one machinery engineer’s good sense and foresight a zerk fitting had been machined into a shaft couple for an regularly occasional wear protection’s greasing. However through the short sighted body design the zerk fitting was covered up under protective PTO shielding without so much as an access opening for neither inspection nor grease zerk attention. Luckily the AG bearing’s mounts were bolted on the lee side of the supports making it easier for us to separate the two parts of the driveshaft. It wasn’t easy. Some hammering here’n’there using a brass hammer, a couple different heavy steel blocks for drifts while using a length of 2”x4” for a wooden pry and a steel crowbar for yet another heavier surer pry. We had managed to pry the shaft ends apart until the shafts were separated enough and the longer shaft pried or sprung enough one-way to knock the coupler off the driving shaft. Things parted we could see and think about a badly needed repair to a worn out piece of two steel pieces that weren’t of any operator’s doing.
These activities filled our day, particularly mine until I couldn’t walk a straight line. It was Shorthorn country’s quitting time.

No comments: