Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Today’s honest journal

It was suggested again, I worked to hard yesterday. Could be. Sheesh! I slept in this morning waking three hours later than the norm. And if that weren’t enough I caught a nap this afternoon. And I had a bucket full of halters to fix. If possible?
Now that a rumor suggesting I work to had I want to quell it right now. Why I’m so lazy when I’m facing the most miserable jobs around the farm imaginable. I feel that the quicker I get into any one of them and finish it the sooner the better I’m free, gladly without so much as looking back.
It also goes with yesterday’s supposedly long day. Normally it takes me somewhat less than two hours to grind a week’s grain supply including side trips to pick up supplements and the empty container. Yesterday we could go no faster than we had traction at anytime throughout the day in this snow. You all know that white stuff having fallen all over this farmyard’s ice as snow had made bodily safety an upright issue, or moving any machine or machinery combination near impossible. But then us a Northern folk evidently not knowing anything as how to motor upon these weathered conditions, we tend to take it easy enjoying every hour of these rare days doing it in slow motion. Walk slowly avoiding any sudden unseen ridges what might let a body down hard. Or how about selecting a low gear and applying as little throttle as possible to move a motored vehicle over the weathered terrain without loosing traction or a forward or reverse motion. But what does a Northerner know about driving on ice and snow. I mean, I like the educated tenacity these Southerners display their where-for-know showing us lesser knowledgeable northerners how to spin their wheels quickly drying the road bed ahead of themselves all the way to wherever it is they’re supposedly going. Yup! This is just what I mean. Us Northern fools in snow country are quite possibly in need of some speedy Southern driving in snow instruction.
**********
You think the last story was slow!
Dang chores were done this AM with one acting up gas Ollie. I figured it was some contaminated fuel iced. I looked for and added some alcohol. Tractor aught to run better tomorrow. From here I was summoned down the road to assist in feeding cattle there. And then for the biggy request, I was asked to load Polaris Ranger with wood. Holy woodpile smokes. Backing the ranger to the woodpile I found buried in the snow between the ranger and the woodpile all manner of roly-poly pieces of scattered cut up firewood sized tree limbs. It was liking trying to stand on marbles, my feet taking turns rolling sideways/ for’n’aft. That was a fun adventure not knowing which way I was about to roll with each piece of dry wood I picked up. There was some kicking in the snow, a wet piece picked up from the ground for every two pieces of the dry off the pile. I got him a load into his garage.
Then I agreed with calling it a day. I needed it for yesterday’s continued personal thawing out.
~~~~~~~~~~
Some of what I missed. Stover gone day before yesterday had to open first haylage cell yesterday. Also did a count. First projecting there’s hay’s enough for 108 days. Maybe a better count’ll reveal more. Sure wishing for a closer additional 21 days worth here, but afraid that‘ll never happen without a miracle.
~~~~~~~~~~
We could well get anywhere from three to eight inches here through tomorrow, maybe another ten inches Christmas day. Shorthorn country is so prettily wrapped tight in a fluffy white blanket cozily laid all over everything. BGKC.
Fernan

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

Fern, you old coot, I love you. Merry Christmas.