Saturday, July 2, 2011

Half past Morning

Putting a good full day yesterday I’ve found myself waking quite late. To late to finish last nights chore and the same for getting at today’s chores. Animals to check upon, machinery to prepare for more field use. Have already been called to pickup some more saved lawn clippings. So I’ve plenty to keep my busy until I decide what I want to do for myself. Could be I may take in a Pre 4th celebration around loco (the most descriptive word) campfire, a BYOB and a dish to pass celebration. Have got plenty of hay to haul. Just must figure out to move the required wagons and loader tractor to all the sites and back. Have never seen so many more important activities requiring off farm attention. “Twas odd, as a child I was taught the animals in my keep always came first. What the _ell? Now I’m told all milk and meat come from the grocery store. My-my, how times have changed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thinking myself staying home tending to matters here I’m saving my country energy. Yet catching a bit of TV news the I-75 E-Way was three lanes bumper to bumper motorist heading North on the Gasoline I was saving. This is all beyond my feeble minder's comprehension.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh my Holy Joe….
….a tract has been stuck in my door while I was doing my once I got it going morning thingy; fueling, oiling, greasing, and generally replenishing what was needed to go on woiking. Why I even re-supplied Ugly truck with pump-able diesel fuel, bulk motor oils, bulk trans-fluids, bales and balls of twine, and several filled gasoline cans. Tough part all this stuff, it all wont last long enough and I‘ll have to go back for more. I even noticed replaced sparkplugs hadn‘t been re-cleaned for next time‘s re-use. Need I speculate who’ll have to clean, test and gap them?
Home for a moment's cooling, personal fluids replenishment, still have the 4020 gasser loader tractor to gas up for the weekend warriors heroic efforts to haul in some of the hays. AND, wouldn’t it I know I to late forgot to bring home the big-s bale hauling wagons. I’m also wondering where had I seen the quick disconnecting rope-tagged hay wagon hitch pin? A long tall glass cooled water downed I’d better get going.
A little while ago I observed the ladies venturing out into an area they couldn’t wait to get away from yesterday. This western side pasture closer/more convenient to home is a closer walk than that the half mile one-way trek out to the Duck Pond pasture. Sheesh! What a complaining lazy mob of un-satisfy-able ladies! I had better be checking fences. Newly up they’ll need repeated checking until the deer become accustomed to the hot wire being out there. And, it were a good idea that I had. Wouldn't I know it those long wires had been stretched some by a wildlife varmint testing them the hard way. I wonder if their encounters will brightened them any?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How about some snaps:
This is some of this season’s haymaking line-up. As the season progresses more equipment will come into Shorthorn country sandbox play……
Photobucket

This was the skinny little critter I found down in the barn what took me two days to get my hand on her. Since Frieda’s washed out her eyes, seems she’s settled in to stay. Even Della (senior cat) has accepted her as no threat. Well, not yet.
Photobucket

A picture across a couple fields the hay cut and baled. The browning (maturing) grasses left side picture is part of the bottoms I speak of. So wet, this year when machines skirted this area finding mud, that was the end any more bottom venturing any closer for making hay.
Photobucket

6’x5’ hay bales harvested off the phenomenal 30 yr old Mystery alfalfa 50/50% grass hay field. Still expect a good second cutting off this field later in the season.
Photobucket

Unseen behind millions of cattails lies the Duck Pond. The uncut grasses in the left foreground this picture makes up the unusually un-harvested raceway this season’s haying. It has only been since day before yesterday the (any) tractor’s tires haven’t squeezed moisture out of earth wetting the tire’s rolling surfaces. It has been a wet year, taking all this time to dry up even a little. We’ve had them before and will have them again. Nothing we can’t handle.
Photobucket

Between 5:00PM and 6:00PM we’ve had a heavy thunder storm. I don’t know from where this one had come. It wasn’t in my forecast. Rained so hard I almost waited for the Cushman to drown out fording the barnyard creek over it’s banks. Been invited out tonight for a 4th lawn celebration. I’ve had such an icy cold soaking shower I don’t know if I’ll have dried out enough to attend later. Our host wanted ice, we got it. Them things hurt while I was caught out in them. This could just possibly thoroughly mess up my 19 acre Monday hay baling, a day or so likely pushed further on/away.
Photobucket
I’ve got to go make me an iced tea, with just delivered heaven sent fresh ice, and take my rattlers.
Calling this quits….
“Rainbows.”
Fernan

No comments: